Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Slow down.

Slow Down - India Arie
"Thinking the faster that I go
The faster that I will reach my goal
The race is not given to the swift
But to the one who endureth.
I thought that all of my obstacles were behind me.
Walking around like I'm made out of diamond.
I tripped and fell and it reminded me to move over and let the angels guide me."

India arie's lyrics often speak straight into my life. Above I quoted the song "slow down", and it speaks right to where I'm at. Yesterday I hurt myself again, I dropped my phone, I smacked my head. What else is new? I break, chip, scratch, and destroy everything. I was so frustrated with this destructive trait of mine that I asked my friend who is, oh so wise "why do I hurt myself all the time", she replied "Jessica, I was thinking about this today, and I realized its because you do everything too fast". I thought about it, and realized, I do things WAY too fast. I jump to conclusions, I want to get too much done too soon, I set unrealistic goals for myself, and I do too much in a short amount of time.

I need to slow down, Im going to fast, I've got my hands in the air, with my feet on the gas. I don't know where this trait came from, or why I feel I need to do it all - but it just crept up on me. Now I live with a messy room, a broken phone, a cracked screen on my computer, and I don't take the time to actually get to know people. My mind works fast, my heart moves on faster.

I need to take each day as it comes, each moment, I need to listen when spoken too, I need to listen to my momma more often, and I need to slow down baby....

1 comment:

James Shelley said...

A really good and inspiring book along these lines is "In Praise of Slow" by Carl Honore - link on amazon. Check it out if you have a chance - I have a copy you can borrow too if you want.